Once you have your house, what do you do next?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by DigDug, Oct 9, 2014.

1. DigDug

DigDug New Member

Not obvious stuff like dig a mine, but I mean what's your next goals?

I generally build a few small click-together houses using a 3x3 low-material building style, and build them on a grid so I can connect them later if need be. I go for negative grain silos - 3x3 pits dug into the ground, with floors that you can stop off on and harvest your wheat. Block of water running down the center, to hydrate farmland, and a torch on each floor for appropriate light.

After I've got at least one reliable source of food, I start building walls. More to keep out creepers than spiders, since I like the spiders to come to me. After that, I sort of lose direction. I usually end up with at least one micro-cobble generator for those I'm-not-tearing-up-the-ground-for-stone emergencies, or at least the ones not leaving the house for.

What's your next step?

2. connor0629

connor0629 New Member

Isn't it obvious? The whole point of Minecraft is to build, so once I made a rough house, I go out, collect more materials and build an even bigger and better house. Because I'm a picky builder, I usually have to move my stuff to a different location to where I can make an elaborate house. Forget surviving, it's all about building.

3. DigDug

DigDug New Member

I like to see the cumulative fruits of my labor, though. But unless I start out with a specific theme and concept in mind, I just don't know where to go from there. I've recently started a new world where I had a sprucewood forest run up to the most beautiful lagoon-beach ever as the spawn. I started off with a 3x3-grid cabin, but this time I built it bigger than I normally would to start. I'm thinking about running a man-made river down to the beach and setting up boat rides, for shits and giggles. Maybe start some scaffolded minecart tracks running across this deep valley to a storage house that would be within view distance, but still a way away from my house.

4. MrMoose

MrMoose New Member

Make red stone farms. I like to mostly try and automate EVERYTHING. Food farms, spawners, or neutral mob farms. It's a different challenge with every new patch. Also the fun aspects, it might be.....racing horses.

5. jackhaal

jackhaal New Member

I start getting prepared for mining, digging and exploring. This means that I go and try to find iron to make cool tools and great armor. Then I eventually try to get better and better resources while making other useful utilities as well, like torches and whatnot.

6. 93simon

93simon New Member

I like to find automated ways of hoarding all the resources in the game. It's not rare that I check other people's farms on YouTube especially for tedious mobs such as blazes or wither skeletons. Then I build a large warehouse full of chests where I store everything until I become bored.

7. DigDug

DigDug New Member

You guys are so unimaginative.

I ended up with a few wheat silos, with redstone-based water harvesting systems. I had six silos, three levers total. Turns out augmented harvesting systems are easy as hell in survival, so long as you can make pistons as needed. After the new world gen system, iron is easy as hell to find. I find more iron than andesite.

8. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom New Member

Once I've got a really basic house built, I then go on and create a stone castle, then start a mansion, then make a bigger and better castle, and so on. The goal of the game is to build as much stuff as you can, so I'm making sure to build lots of stuff.

9. Sterling Walker

Sterling Walker MinecraftNews

Once I build a house I do some interior work. Then I make a farm in the basement or somewhere near. Then I build more houses and connect them with railroads that lead to a train station. I may make a redstone alarm online for when intruders enter.

10. Micheleteresa

Micheleteresa New Member

Once my basic shelter id built I go mining then start building a better, permanent home. then I build a few farms. and go out mining and collecting resources.

11. NathanG

NathanG New Member

After I have my house built, I usually either go out and find a cave or a make a mind to find some ores. After I get up to full diamond armor and sword and pick, I'll venture into the nether and eventually make it to the end. So pretty much like a lot of other people I'd say.

12. SpectraGeko

SpectraGeko MinecraftNews

I usually survey the area around the house and attempt to link every possible landmark I can with roads made of cobblestone or gravel. I usually obtain this stone or gravel from a quarry I make near the place. This is easy and inconsequential to do because I make my house on cliff sides so the ground is completely free. It also makes it more difficult for my sworn enemy to knock at my door only to blow up in my face. After I connect enough landmarks I attempt to renovate and teraform to make the land look like civilization was there at some point.
    After a while I'll notice that my character's level is really high and enemies are becoming extremely common. I then proceed to making towering structure that reaches the clouds. There I go through an extremely tedious task of making a sky island. Once I'm done with that I'll attempt to make the tower connected to this island even bigger by making the structure even taller. Instead of constructing upwards I build underground and make multiple underground hideouts and a mine cart that pulls materials to the surface. My quest to create a sky island never ends.

13. SanderD8

SanderD8 MinecraftNews

I always go mine redstone and iron to make an compass to explore the land of awesomess!

14. Razor

Razor New Member

After I get my fancy house up I go exploring obviously. I get back and get my farm up.

15. Delirium

Delirium New Member

Well once I've built my house to my satisfaction (or at least close to it), I usually almost always start a farm. Grow some crops, lure in some chickens, cows, pigs, etc - basically ensuring that I have enough food for myself. After that's done, I try to build a wall or some sort around my house (the only exception is if I made my house super big, because ain't nobody got time for that) with four watch towers on the four ends of the wall and make a main gate on the front, two doors on the back. This is mostly for defense, I don't like stepping out to harvest my crops and getting half of my farm blown by some random creeper. I also especially like it because it allows me to go out and walk around my house at night.

16. arachnophobik

arachnophobik New Member

I typically like to build secret passages after I do my main house. I usually make it seem like an ordinary cabin, but once you've found the secret passage, you'll realize it's much bigger. I have the rest of my rooms underground so people can't see it unless they accidentally mine through it, which I doubt since I make sure me and my friends mine on far off places.

17. Char55

Char55 New Member

Automation is what's most important to me and I like to create as much ease for myself as possible. I like to create a reliable source of food and I like finding automated ways of getting as much resources as possible.

18. anvinus

anvinus New Member

I'd make a farm, not a big one (depends on the seeds i have), then i will make mining spot where i would spend hours of my time underground. After that probably build a village and find a villager by curing zombie villager.