DNS Changer: Possible Internet Blackout and how to avoid it.

Discussion in 'The Real World' started by Apv301, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Apv301

Apv301 Active Member

Last November the FBI shut down a large hacking group. The group had produced malware that, when infected, would force users to go to alternate sites that the group controlled.

Whats the problem? The FBI realized if they simple disconnected the groups servers, any computers infected with the malware would be cut off from the internet. Their solution? They swapped out the groups servers for their own clean server.

Now there are two repercussions from this:
    A: The FBI now have records of everything anyone infected was up to.

and more importantly

B: The FBI will be shutting down the servers on July 8th. If your comp is infected still when the server go out, you WILL be without internet.

So how do you remedy the solution? Very simply!
    http://www.dcwg.org/ Provides everything you need to find out if you are infected our not, along with a summary of what the problem is and what you should do if infected.

http://www.dcwg.org/detect/

Please note, this is NOT a fix, it only detects if your comps working the way it should, or if the malware is trying to redirect you.

There are no downloads, nothing. You just click the link, and if the background is green. You are likely not infected. Red however... you should immediately seek out ways to remove the program.

Please keep in mind, with issues like this if you dont know what you're doing... find someone who does. I tried to remove a malware program called "Windows 7 Antivirus 2012" and ran into nothing but trouble. Serious serious trouble. Turns out it came with a free rootkit infection *place gun to head here*

2. CB

CB Mature Filter for Forums

Hang on a sec. Is this Legit? Why have I heard nothing about this?

3. Apv301

Apv301 Active Member

4. CB

I found a few more weblinks for it as well from a simple google search.

when it comes to internet meme, and doomsday threats... I tend to be extremely skeptical.

5. Apv301

Apv301 Active Member

It is overplayed abit, I mean I had something just like this and a computer shop was able to remove it. It's a big threat for most computer users, but for the fairly large section that has "some" understanding of computers... it's not TOO big of a deal.

Still, doesn't hurt to be prepared.

6. CB

c:/ Format C://

^ foul proof virus removal software.

Apv301 likes this.
  7. Apv301

Apv301 Active Member

"del /F /S /Q" works better imo.

And for those linux asshole
    "sudo rm -Rf /"
    As a bonus the linux version comes with a free screensaver!

[​IMG]