Minetest - Easily modded, completely free alternative to Minecraft.

http://minetest.net/ is a game that is heavily influenced by Minecraft's success, but has decided to take a different approach to gameplay and the modding capability of the game itself.

I think the biggest difference, and probably the best reason to play MT, is that the base game itself is actually a mod. The engine lets you load 'game modules' to play. Third parties can easily create their own modules with almost any functionality and resources they want to add. There is even a module designed to specifically recreate some of Minecraft's functions.

http://minetest.net/screenshots

It takes some getting used to, and it is by no means a Minecraft replacement, but it does have the added bonus of Minecraft-like multiplayer for free.

Hmmm..I think this would be similar to how pet city was influenced by the success of Super Poke Pets. Unfortunately, Google bought and killed SPP. It has not, until this moment crossed my mind that there could be a possibility that Microsoft will be the death of MC !!! ...but I doubt that would happen!

Tree Puncher
    Wow, looks pretty cool and like a nice and free alternative! Would certainly be a great game for all of those people who simply can't afford Minecraft...

I think Roblox is a better alternative to Minecraft. It's rather different, but it's different in a good way. Meaning it's not a complete rip off of the game so you don't feel like you're playing a cheap Minecraft knock-off. It's also free, and yes it's an online game.

This looks pretty interesting! Since it's free it's worth a shot! Maybe I can even try to mod it on my own, even though I've never done anything like that before. :O

Thread Information